Summer Makeup Bag Essentials

Thursday 8 January 2015


I often find myself reaching for different products according to season and many of them end up in my makeup for when I'm out and about. Speaking of makeup bags, the one in the photo was part of a Baylis & Harding gift set I received one Christmas, so I don't have a link for that, sorry. I just switched to this bag, actually, because my other makeup bag is...disgusting. They get messy pretty fast, don't they?


As usual, I try to provide links to buy the products online, and I always try to use stores that are New Zealand-based or that ship to NZ.

Right, let's get to it. The most important thing for me is to have a sunscreen on hand. I always apply it before I put on my makeup, but I like to have it with me for putting on my body. If I'm not wearing makeup then obviously I reapply it to my face as needed. I like the Neurtrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 85+. It's not one of those hideously greasy sunscreens that are a nightmare for anyone, but especially oily people.

I like to take a couple of concealers out with me. One for under the eyes, like Revlon Colorstay Under Eye Concealer in Light. The other is for blemishes, though you can use it under the eyes as well: L.A. Girl Pro.conceal HD concealer* in Classic Ivory. To set everything, I always keep my Rimmel Stay Matte transparent powder in my bag. Sometimes I even brush it over my skin on no-makeup days to keep the oil at bay. I use an UBU kabuki brush (from Kmart) for application - this is not the best brush in the world as it's a little scratchy but it does the job for now. I also like to carry my e.l.f. Makeup Mist & Set spray with me to a) set my powder, and b) it's refreshing and on a hot day it's actually really nice to mist over the face, just because. I feel a bit more alive when I use it.

For lips, I always like a few different options: a balm, a gloss, and a lippy. This means I can change up my look pretty easily on-the-go, without having to faff about with eye makeup. At the moment I'm enjoying my Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in 035 Charm, which is basically my lips but better. I get a lot of compliments on this one when the balmyness goes and the stain is left. It's so pretty. For gloss, I like Clinique Long Last Glossware with SPF 15 in 08 Guavagold, which is a nice peachy pink (and mine is a handy travel size). Then for lippy, I like Australis Go Long Longwear Lipstick in Boho, which is that classic '90s brown matte.

Then I carry a few extra bits: obviously a decent compact mirror is necessary - this one was a limited edition Farmer's release and has a magnified side; hand cream is so important for me because I wash my hands a lot when I'm at uni (people are gross and they touch things) - I like these mini Neutrogena Hand Cream tubes; for dry cuticles I like O.P.I Avoplex Cuticle Oil; and for a bit of scent this tiny sample of Jimmy Choo Eau de Parfum is perfect - God, it smells good!

There you have it, the beauty essentials I take out with me just in case. How about you? What's in your makeup bag at the moment?

*This link is for an NZ online store, but you can buy it much cheaper at Makeup Clearance stores. Beauty Joint also stocks it but I wouldn't buy from there unless you're getting other things, because of the international shipping cost.

No comments :

Post a Comment